Monday, February 18, 2019

Too Much Chocolate Has Been Eaten

Konnichiwa minasan! 

It's been a good week! We've been doing a lot of different things and had a surprising amount of appointments. Unfortunately, we've had to drop quite a few investigators after those appointments, but that's just a way to find new people to teach, I guess.

We've been working with a newly picked up investigator, Iwamoto-san. She's really sweet but she's got this problem where Satan keeps telling her that she doesn't need to be baptized, so that's annoying. We're planning on teaching her more about the understanding and recognizing the spirit, so hopefully that will help her to be able to realize that it's Satan who's telling her that baptism is unnecessary. I really feel like once she understands that baptism is personally critical for her, she'll progress fairly quickly. 

DCS this week went pretty well. Ejima 兄弟, our ward mission leader, brought us Costco pizza so that was super nice. He also went on a small rant about how we need to be using more psychological and emotional persuasive tools in our dendo. I can kinda see where he's coming from, and he's right that we need to be refining our teaching skills, but I'm more concerned about teaching by the Spirit. Thinking about it though has helped me in the PMG challenge for teaching in the Savior's way. I've really been considering how the Savior does teach and how he does not. It's really cool actually, considering how Christ was always straightforward when he taught doctrine. He used tatoes and object lessons, but he always gave the people he taught a clear choice.

This week we also had a koukan with the Hirakata shimai, and I spent the day with McCuen 姉妹. We didn't have any appointments scheduled, so we went and visited some less actives and potential investigators. The crazy thing though is there was this one guy, Oku 兄弟, who'd been baptized ages ago and remembered the church, but because of poor teaching on the part of the missionaries who baptized him, he didn't know anything about Jesus Christ. So we asked him if he wanted to learn about Jesus Christ and he straight up just said "yeah sure please teach me" and so we were able to set up an appointment with him and we even invited him to church. He said he might like to 久しぶり come back and visit. It was crazy. I've never seen a less active in Japan that open to hearing the gospel again. It was also valentine's day so we got to use that in contacting teenagers and kids. It was super fun. 

Other than that, we had a great eikaiwa on Saturday. Taniguchi 長老 and I were working with the more advanced learners' side of the room and we ended up teaching about the law of the fast and how strengthening the family strengthens society during the English part of the lesson. It was super great, and one of the students lined me later saying that she had shared what we taught with her daughter. It just goes to show that teaching how the core of the gospel solves the problems our students face sparks interest in them. I'm super excited about it. 

Also on Friday we have game night with this less active member, Q-chan, and we basically just play random board games with him and other members/investigators who join, followed up with a spiritual message at the end. This week was super great because the elders did a message on family history and they asked me to share an experience from my family history. So I got to share about my great grandfather and how his autobiography has helped me on my mission, and it was super great because Q-chan seemed really invested in the lesson, and the elders are going to try and start working with him to get him to the temple. 

But that's about the general main stuff of the week! Tune in next time to hear all of my probably many thoughts about the Wada 長老 taikai.

愛しています!💕
Sherwood 姉妹

1.) We hiked (and by biked I mean pushed my bike) up a hill and the view was great
2.) I'm 90% sure this tree has cancer
3.) I solved this rubiks cube all by myself
4.) game night! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Sherwood Chourou - Week 38 in Japan

Konnichiwa! We are back to the slowish days once more. We've been dendoing and teaching plenty, but nothing outstanding has arisen ...