Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Last week in the MTC - hopefully

Konnichiwa minasan!

This week sure has been pretty wild! So much has happened and yet I feel like almost nothing has. First things first, we got our travel itineraries! We report at the travel office at 2:30am Monday morning, and we have a direct flight from Salt Lake to Tokyo! I'm super excited!

Also! Yesterday at devotional Janice Kapp Perry came and spoke to us briefly! Turns out she's a giant football fan and was very excited that Elder S. Gifford Nielson asked her to come and speak because he used to be a quarterback at BYU and in the NFL. She is honestly life goals. She's like Mulan's grandmother but even better! 

We've been doing In Field Orientation too and it's been super fun! We've been learning lots about planning and working with members, and I'm really excited to work with the ward councils in Japan! About that though, I have a quick challenge for you all. Think of someone in your life who's recently moved, had a baby, is struggling with an illness, or could just benefit from the message we have to share, and refer them to a pair of missionaries who you trust to help them. Without members, our work is impossible, so never forget how important you are. The missionaries will be in an area for only a short amount of time, but you'll all be there for so much longer! The factor that really helps keep new converts active in the gospel is their relationships with the members of their ward. You're all so so important and the missionaries rely on you so much. Never forget that people are one of Kamisama's greatest tools to bless the lives of His children. 

Also, we've been talking a lot about the importance and power of the Book of Mormon and the strength with which it testifies. Currently, one of my favorite scriptures is 2 Nephi 4:35, which reads:

"Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me, if I ask not amiss; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen."

Kamisama loves to bless us. He cares about us and our desires and goals and feelings because He is our Father. Demo, blessings are dependent on the law upon which they are predicated (D&C 130:20-21), so if you ask for a blessing and obey the law it's predicated upon, you will receive that blessing because God cannot lie. (D&C 82:10) Center everything on Christ. Do your best to align your will with His. Pray always, constantly beseech Him and give him everything you are. Cry to Him. Make Him your rock and your foundation. If you do these things and continually strive to become as He is, I know that you will desire nothing He doesn't want for you, and you will have the promise that He will give liberally to you, and you can do anything through Him.

Minasan o ai shiteimasu! Till next week iN JAPAN!
Sherwood Shimai


***update: after Brittney sent this email she found out her visa has been delayed. We are hoping and praying that her visa comes through and she'll be able to fly to Japan on Monday as scheduled. If not, she will remain in the US until her visa is issued. I will update when I have more info. ~ Julie




No comments:

Post a Comment

Sherwood Chourou - Week 38 in Japan

Konnichiwa! We are back to the slowish days once more. We've been dendoing and teaching plenty, but nothing outstanding has arisen ...