Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Sherwood Chourou - Week 1


Konnichiwa mina-san!

I've just finished my first week of the MTC and I'm loving it more every day. My companion is Sabala Chourou and we've been getting along amazingly so far! We have a hard time keeping an eye on each other, though. Everyone in our district is loads of fun, and our senpaitachi have been very helpful to us (and just as goofy).

Our senseitachi have been absolutely wonderful in helping us learn Japanese and making it fun. I feel like I was able to learn about 10 times as much Japanese in the first 4 days than I learned from 3 years of French classes!
We got snowed on for the first few days, so I got to amuse myself by making tiny snowmen, or Chiisana Yuki Tomodachi (Little Snow Friend) as I've been calling them.

I actually got a chance to give a cool insight after last night's devotional! It was given by Brother Funk of the Seventy,  and he talked about how we won't be able to go back to the way we were before our missions. I shared how while the phrase "can't ever go back" usually sounds like a bad thing,  in this case it is the most wonderful thing for us missionaries, as by going on a mission, the Lord will shape us into better versions of ourselves without any chance of reverting back to our less impressive selves. After that, the District President told us about how he had missed the devotional because of an emergency appointment in his workplace, but even though he missed the devotional, he was still able to learn from it via all of our insights. When he finished that, I felt a prompting to talk about how the Spirit can not only help us discern goiid from evil, but also help us choose the more important of two goods, and by following that guidance, a way will be provided for us to receive the blessings of both choices. That was the first time I recognized a spiritual prompting so clearly, so I was very excited after that.

Sorry I can't think of much more to say and for sending this so late. I had a sore throat all night and have been exhausted all day, so I had to nap a lot. I'm already out of time to respond to any of your emails, but please email me anyways!

Elder Sherwood


1: My little snow friend
2: My companion and I


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sherwood Chourou - Week 38 in Japan

Konnichiwa! We are back to the slowish days once more. We've been dendoing and teaching plenty, but nothing outstanding has arisen ...